Friday, August 31, 2007

Miscellany 3: I'll Cry If I Want To




1. We're number one! We're number one! I had no idea, but I blame the gays.


2. The heteros whinge frequently that gay couples are not really committed to each other the way breeders are. I would just like to respond by saying that on Wednesday morning, I had to take my car to the shop, and b&c went with me and then dropped me off at the Metro station, even though he had a boy coming over. If that's not love, what is? He did say that we had to hurry so that he could get back, of course: he's not crazy. (See, there's committed, and then there's committed. I wonder whether I can sign the papers for that. Probably not.)

3. Tuesday evening, b&c and I went with my friend G. and his roommate/tenant/fuckbuddy/second third boyfriend V. to see West Side Story at Wolf Trap. You know what? The $40 loge tix are no better than the $18 lawn tix. (Unless it's raining, of course.) Neither ticket allows you to see facial expressions, but either ticket lets you see the choreography. The male lead had a competent but lackluster voice, and the female lead had problems with pitch. But the dancers were terrific, the group numbers ("America" and "Gee, Officer Krupke") were great, and, hey, it's West Side Story. Even a weak production doesn't really hurt it. Go and bring a picnic and sit on the lawn. By the way, as long as you pre-squeeze the lime and just use the juice, no one can tell if you replace the water in your Evian bottle with a gin and tonic. I mean, so I've heard.

4. Road trip! I'm off to scenic Vermont this weekend to take EFU to college. I've already packed the car and printed the directions. I'm a mess. At choir practice last night, I was chatting with a soprano whose oldest child is a sophomore in high school, and when I mentioned how much trouble I was having, she started to tell me how thrilled she'd be when her kids went off to college because of all the fighting and nagging that she has to do. When I told her that EFU and I never fight and that I don't have to nag her to do anything, she said, "Wow, I guess if my kids were like that, I'd miss them too." This made me feel simultaneously better and worse. The college has scheduled a full day of events, presumably to make us feel better about our children abandoning us, but I'm sure that I'm going to be blubbering like that chick in "It's My Party." You would cry, too, if it happened to you. Actually, I'm coming to learn that most people really wouldn't, but at this point I probably can't avoid embarrassing both myself and EFU, so I've decided not to care. Note to self: pack more handkerchiefs.

5.I'm not losing a daughter: I'm losing a daughter and her iPod. So I need music (and a CD adapter, which I have. Somewhere.) for the trip home. Inspired by everyone's favorite multilingual bear, I went online, determined to buy this. And you know what? I'm feeling it, but I'm not feeling it at seventy bucks. Instead, I ordered two other blasts from the past. I can't wait to listen to them. I'll round out the road trip soundtrack with some Johnny Cash.
And if only I could remember these dreams... I know they're trying to tell me...something. Ooooeee. Strange dreams.

No comments: